EL 2.1 install via PXE Boot and NFS Kickstart

acline2 at cox.net acline2 at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 00:58:25 UTC 2004

I appreciate the reply, however, I have already completed the steps you
detailed and they all worked and created the desired results.  On
current RedHat CDs (> Ver 6.2) there is an /image/pxeboot/ directory.
Inside that directory is a vmlinuz kernel and a ram disk.  I'm trying to
insert a module compiled with the method described by Mr. Stevens into
the ram disk.  I feel that I am doing everything mostly right, but I
must be missing something.  Here's what I've done:

1.  Gunzip'd the initrd.img and mounted the resulting file using a loop
device.
2.  Copied out the modules/modules.cgz from the mounted initrd.
3.  Decompressed the modules.cgz using zcat and cpio
4.  Put my new module into the resulting directory structure.
5.  Recreated the modules.cgz from the new data with my module.
6.  Copied the new modules.cgz into the initrd mount.
7.  Edited the pcitable and module-info in the module/ directory on the
initrd mount.
8.  I can boot from the kernel via PXE successfully but the module does
not get inserted correctly.  Unfortunately, no error is produced.

I borrowed the above info from several web-documents that dealt with
putting a third party driver onto a disk for booting.  I'm guessing that
the two processes are slightly different.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

A Cline