fedora up2date

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 26 16:36:39 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:
> I installed fedora core 1 on a Compaq Evo N180 Laptop..

> connection to the update service stops in the middle of the download
> process.
>
> Don't think it the nic as I can surf the web and make other
> connections after up2date stops.
>
> Any one else having this problem. I may take a week to get everything
> downloaded.
>
> Maybe there is a switch I can set?

You mean yum has a problem?  The Red Hat Fedora update site is not
very fast.  yum will often pooch out on it.  The solution is to use
a mirror.  Here is an /etc/yum.conf file I use that uses two mirror
sites:
---------------------------- Cut Here --------------------------------
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
gpgcheck=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/os
         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/os/core/$releasever/$basearch/os

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/updates

http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/os/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever
-           Denial.  It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore!         -