FC1 x86_64

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 26 16:56:47 UTC 2004

Just a note to let you know that I put FC1 for AMD64 up on a box of
mine this weekend.  Works fine, except for the video card I put in the
stupid thing (bought an ATI Radeon 9600SE and didn't notice the "SE" on
the box!  DOH!)  The card shows up under two PCI IDs: 1002:4151 and
1002:4171 and is identified as a Radeon 9600 AQ with a 350RV chipset.

If you should decide to get one of these cards, be forewarned that the
card is NOT supported under XFree86 4.3.0's "radeon" driver (Fedora and
RH8.0/RH9).  For 32-bit environments, ATI does have a pretty good driver
on their website, so download and install it.  For full functionality,
you will need the kernel source RPM installed and (I think) configured
(through the "make dep" stage), but you do NOT need to build a kernel
for it.

This will NOT work for the AMD64 version.  ATI supplies part of the
driver kit as a static library that has been linked for a 32-bit
environment only.  I haven't had time to see if I can come up with
options to use to convince the compiler and linker to deal with this
situation (e.g. build a 32-bit driver on the 64-bit system).

Note that this card IS supported by the XFree86 4.4.0 "radeon" driver
(only provides accelerated 2D operation).  Building XFree86 is not a
trivial task (I did it this weekend--just to see how good it is).

This is just a heads-up, people.  Thought you'd like to know before
you get whonked by this little gotcha.
-   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
-                         lazy programmers.                          -