installed new hard drive - now can't find it

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 28 16:37:33 UTC 2004

Dana Holland wrote:
> It finally dawned on us to try Dell support since that's who we just
> bought the drive from.  It's a hardware RAID - they had us initialize
> the drives using the Array Configuration Manager, and now they have a
> couple of more commands they want us to run - supposedly after that the
> additional space will be visible.  However, they're suggesting that we
> do a full system backup before we run these last commands.  I know how
> to do a system backup on AIX, but I've never done one on Linux - I've
> always just tarred what was important to me to a tape or another box.
> Plus, this is further complicated by the fact that we have an Oracle
> database on this box.  Can anyone point me to directions for doing a
> system backup?  As usual, I'm searching the internet for the
> information, but we're getting into a crunch timewise.

Ah, a bit of information you studiously left out.  If it's a hardware
RAID and you're going to use this drive to make the array larger then
yes, you need to add the drive to the array.  We thought you were just
trying to attach another SCSI drive.

tar and cpio work just the same on Linux as on AIX, Solaris, HP/UX,
you name it.  You can back up to a tape or a CD or whatever you want.

There's a backup system installed on your Linux machine called "amanda"
that will do your backup for you.  Do a "man amanda" for details.  I
use it to back up to DAT and/or DLT.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -