installed new hard drive - now can't find it

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Apr 29 16:12:16 UTC 2004

Dana Holland wrote:
>>    As others have suggested by now we didn't know this was hardware RAID.
>

> Yes, as I told Rick privately, we didn't know either.  We have
> experience with any of this.
>
> Dell did walk us through various steps and the afacli utility *does* see
> the new drive.  However,  we still haven't figured out how to start
> using the space that's supposedly there.  We know about fdisk, but we
> don't really know how to use it.
>
> I know this sounds very strange to most of you, but just think "grossly
> understaffed and underpaid education institution."  It just takes us a
> while longer...

Really I know nothing of RAID. My only experience is a software-based,
2-drive RAID system I have on a Win NT server here. One drive goes down
and the other drive is still there as it's a copy. I don't even know (or
really care to know) what sort of RAID that is.

If the drive is now accessable in the RAID environment, then I would
suppose that fdisk should tell you that you have a larger drive? Does
all of this RAID stuff show up as a single logical drive? Anyway, if you
added 250GB, for instance, then somewhere fdisk should show you that
this space is there. However it may not pe partitioned yet unless the
Dell software did that for you automatically.

Anyother possibility, I suppose, is that the drive is partitioned, and
possibly even formatted, with a file system type that your kernel
doesn't recognize. for instance, if the Dell software put NTFS on it
then you might not be able to access it even if you can see the partition.

Anyway, not being where the machine is it's pretty hard to imagine all
the problems you might be having. Drop another note back with more info
and I'm sure someone can help. Heck, if the machine was available for an
ssh login mayby someone could help out that way.

good luck,
Mark