SMP and network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 29 21:13:31 UTC 2004

administrator tootai wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an P166MMX router under RH73 kernel 2.4.24. I want to switch to a
> bi processor Celeron PII on ASUS motherboard. I update my .config file
> like:
>
> - change processor from MMX to Celeron
> - activate SMP with 2 processors defined
> - remove APM
> - activate ACPI
>
> When I boot, everything is fine except that I can't have network
> working. I have 2 network cards and one ADSL PCI card. I get message
> "check if cards are plugged and working" when trying to modprobe modules.
>
> Have someone idea where to look? Could it be an APIC problem?

Does "lspci" list the cards?  If not, they're not being seen by the
PCI bus.  I doubt it's an APIC problem, but you can find out by adding
the "noapic" option to the boot command line.  You may also have an ACPI
problem, so also try "acpi=off".
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -