SMP and network

administrator tootai admin at tootai.net
Fri Apr 30 08:01:38 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens a écrit :

> administrator tootai wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have an P166MMX router under RH73 kernel 2.4.24. I want to switch
>> to a bi processor Celeron PII on ASUS motherboard. I update my
>> .config file like:
>>
>> - change processor from MMX to Celeron
>> - activate SMP with 2 processors defined
>> - remove APM
>> - activate ACPI
>>
>> When I boot, everything is fine except that I can't have network
>> working. I have 2 network cards and one ADSL PCI card. I get message
>> "check if cards are plugged and working" when trying to modprobe
>> modules.
>>
>> Have someone idea where to look? Could it be an APIC problem?
>

> Does "lspci" list the cards?  If not, they're not being seen by the
> PCI bus.  I doubt it's an APIC problem, but you can find out by adding
> the "noapic" option to the boot command line.  You may also have an ACPI
> problem, so also try "acpi=off".

Hi Rick,

I'm just closing this matter: I find out that *all* modules where'nt
loaded. I tried all your above mentionned possibilities, nothing to do.
I finally make an mrproper before building SMP kernel and it worked! As
explained in SMP howto, APM has also to be disabled.

Thanks for your hints.

--
Daniel