Installed RedHat 3.0 AS...get to GRUB

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Aug 5 00:25:34 UTC 2004

Michael Ault wrote:
> I have installed RedHAt 3.0 AS and everything seems to
> go fine. It kicks out the last CD, says it is going to
> reboot, reboots and gives me a winderful black screen
> with the dingle word GRUB at the top.
>
> I have redone this once and of course got the same
> result.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? I had fedora on this box and it
> worked fine, but I wanted to go to a supported
> version. Teach me.

It smells like the /boot/grub/grub.conf file is missing.  Try booting
off the first CD in rescue mode (enter "linux rescue" at the "boot:"
prompt).  Let the system mount your AS3 stuff at /mnt/sysimage.  Then:

	chroot /mnt/sysimage
	cd /boot/grub

and verify you have a grub.conf file in there and that it is correct.
If it is, try:

	grub-install /dev/hda
	exit
	exit

(yes, two "exit"s.  The first gets you out of the chroot, the second
starts the reboot).  Pop the CD out and see if the system will boot.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -