agpgart Issues

Hamza Karamali karamal at eecg.toronto.edu
Tue Aug 17 22:33:32 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm trying to enable DRI for my ATI mach64 and am have trouble succeeding.
Part of the problem (perhaps all of the problem) is that I can't seem to
be able to load the agpgart module.  I'm running Red Hat 7.3, with kernel
version 2.4.18-3.

agpgart is supposed to load automatically when I start up XFree86, but it
doesn't.  I see the following in the  XFree86.0.log file:
(WW) ATI(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xfd000000,0x800000)
(II) ATI(0): [drm] SAREA 2200+1208: 3408
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "mach64"
(II) ATI(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) ATI(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed

dmesg says the following:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
agpgart: no supported devices found
[These same lines are repeated many times]
[drm] Module unloaded
[drm] Module unloaded
[drm] Module unloaded
[drm] Module unloaded

When I start up X and do lsmod as root, the agpgart module is not loaded.
Curiously, whenever I try to load it manually with insmod, I see the
complaint:

... init_module: No such device ...

/var/log/messages includes the following:

... kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
... kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
... modprobe: Can't locate module sount-slot-0
... modprobe: Cant' locate module sound-service-0-0

Please let me know if there is any info that I have missed that may be
helpful in diagnosing the problem.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Hamza.