SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support

Kenneth Goodwin kgoodwin at datamarktech.com
Wed Aug 25 22:11:46 UTC 2004

So you have a dell

that came with the PERCRAID controller installed
	(how come your list does not show disk drives off this
controller?

One scsi controller on the Motherboard connected to the
cdrom drive

and you added in the Adaptec cabled to an external DLT. The
DLT is terminated.

If you leave the adaptec card in, but disconnect the DLT
from the card,
the CDROM will work upon a reboot, correct?

Of Darryl W.
>  DeLao Jr.
>  Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 5:32 PM
>  To: 'Getting started with Red Hat Linux'
>  Subject: RE: SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support
>

>  The server in question has all factory settings from
DeLL.
>  Nothing has been
>  installed except for the Adaptec SCSI card with the DLT
>  attached to the SCSI
>  card.  The server is a DeLL PowerEdge 2650.  The Adaptec
>  card is simply
>  seated in along with another NIC.  Im guessing the card
type is PCI.

issue
>  was hot....
>  I suggested that they call Dell Tech Support since this
is a
>  new server.

controllers,
>  so
>  >  the SCSI IDs
>  >  don't conflict.  Look at the output:
>  >
>  >   >> Attached devices:
>  >   >> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  >   >>   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID RAID5   Rev:
V1.0
>  >   >>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI
SCSI
>  >   >> revision: 02
>  >   >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  >   >>   Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-224E          Rev:
K.9A
>  >   >>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI
SCSI
>  >   >> revision: 02
>  >
>  >  Note the "scsi0" and "scsi1" bits.
>
>  I have not seen this on my Compaq scsi linux servers
>  but apparently the HOST notation is referring to
physically
>  separate  controllers and not to channels on the same
>  controller.
>  I was taking it to be Device Host # is on channel X at ID
>  with LUN Z
>  an apparently incorrect assumption....
>
>  So if you are correct and I am not saying you are
not.....

>  Then as I understand things to be from conversations with
>  Darryl....
>
>  Scsi zero is his Dell PCI PercRAID multichannel
controller
>  which Darryl added into the server,
>  	ID at 0 is the actual Raid controller that front ends
the
>  drives
>  	and scsi id 7 (which does not appear here, but I got
later
>  email
>  	from Darryl that it shows up elsewhere, is the ID
>  	part of the controller. Unfortunately, Darryl is a
novice
>  and does not have enough
>  	background to help track this down...
>  	Nothing else is on this scsi controller. Darryl will
have
>  to confirm that the DLT is
>  	not plugged into the PERC card external ports.
>
>  Scsi one and Two must be "on motherboard" normal scsi
>  controllers
>  	They have the cdrom from the factory on scsi one
>  	and they are installing the DLT (believe it an external
>  unit)
>  	on the outside connector on scsi two.
>
>  However, with all three devices on separate controllers
with
>  separate scsi buses,
>  as you explain above....
>
>  this does not explain why:
>
>  	1) the CDROM is visible and works when the DLT is not
>  attached.
>  	2) The cdrom is visible and works, but the DLT is not
when
>  the system boots.
>  	3) The cdrom disappears with an ID conflict error out of
>  the kernel when daryl
>  	modprobes the DLT side. The cdrom disappears and the DLT
>  appears.
>
>  So how is the cdrom conflicting with the DLT if they are
on
>  totally separate scsi busses....???
>  Darryl needs to check the manuals for the dell's built in
>  scsi controllers
>  the possibility now becomes that plugging stuff into
either
>  external scsi port
>  on the MB controllers automatically disables the inside
>  connectors that the cdrom is plugged into.
>
>  Any other thoughts?
>

>  >
>  >  SCSI controllers, BTW, usually use SCSI ID 7, not 0.
If
>  you
>  >  the old Sun Microsystems days of eight or 10 years ago
>  (when
>  >  they were
>  >  the largest user of SCSI devices), they normally laid
>  things
>  >  out thusly:
>  >
>  >  	SCSI ID		Device
>  >  	   0		Open
>  >  	   1		Open
>  >  	   2		Open
>  >  	   3		Hard Drive
>  >  	   4		Tape (normally a DC5150 or DC5250)
>  >  	   5		Open
>  >  	   6		CD-ROM
>  >  	   7		Controller
>  >
>  >  Their firmware swapped SCSI IDs 0 and 3, so the hard
>  drive, while
>  >  physically jumpered to ID3, showed up as ID0 to the
>  software and any
>  >  device physically jumpered to ID0 showed up as ID3 to
>  software.  Just
>  >  why they did this is not clear, other than the fact
that
>  the
>  >  drive would
>  >  ship with two jumpers, so you could make any other ID
you
>  >  wanted except
>  >  7 (which would conflict with the controller).
>
>  Oh, the good olde days, you go back that far too......
>
>  >
>  >  On a Linux system, and assuming both drivers were
loaded
>  (an "lsmod"
>  >  would be nice here), a SCSI CD would show up as
>  /dev/scd0, the tape
>  >  would appear as /dev/st0.  The contents of
/var/log/dmesg
>  would be of
>  >  help also, to see if the devices were seen at boot.
>  >
LUN
>  >  >> support in the Kernel
>  >  >> and that it is not enabled, and that it requires a
>  >  >> re-compile of some sort.
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
does
>  >  >
>  >  > not
>  >  >
>  >  >> see the DLT Drive.  When I do a lsmod from the
command
>  >  >
>  >  > line,
>  >  >
>  >  >> I see my RAID and the CD-ROM drive listed.  Upon
>  checking
>  >  >> the /etc/modules.conf file I see the following
listed:
>  >  >>
>  >  >> alias eth0 e1000
>  >  >> alias eth1 tg3
>  >  >> alias eth2 tg3
>  >  >> alias scsi_hostadapter aacraid
>  >  >> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
>  >  >> alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Upon doing a modprobe aic7xxx from the command
line, I
>  >  >
>  >  > see
>  >  >
>  >  >> this after doing cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Attached devices:
>  >  >> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  >  >>   Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID RAID5   Rev:
V1.0
>  >  >>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI
SCSI
>  >  >> revision: 02
>  >  >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  >  >>   Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-224E          Rev:
K.9A
>  >  >>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI
SCSI
>  >  >> revision: 02
>  >  >>
>  >  >> ==== Please dont post in HTML formats =============
>  >  >>
>  >  >> The probable cause of your problem is that the SCSI
>  >  >> controller
>  >  >> and the CDROM drive
>  >  >> both appear to be set to the same SCSI ID of 0,
Jump
>  and
>  >  >> adjust the scsi id of the cdrom so
>  >  >> it is not  0 or 6. It may also be that the CDROM
and
>  the
>  >  >> tape drive are both set to 6 (cause of your
original
>  >  >> problem) and that the cdrom is taking itself
off-line
>  >  >> when it detects the ID conflict.
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  ========================================================
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>  >  >>   Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT VS160        Rev:
1E00
>  >  >>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI
SCSI
>  >  >> revision: 02
>  >  >>
>  >  >> The DLT is now listed and I am now able to fire up
the
>  >  >> software and use the DLT.  However, now I can not
use
>  the
>  >  >> CD-ROM drive.  I am unable to mount it or anything.
>  When
>  >  >
>  >  > I
>  >  >
>  >  >> reboot, everything resets and I have to modprobe
>  aic7xxx
>  >  >> again in order to use the DLT.  Does anyone know
what
>  >  >
>  >  > need
>  >  >
>  >  >> to do or enable or what not so that I can use both
the
>  >  >> CD-ROM and the DLTVS160 after a reboot without
having
>  >  >> issue a command to use the DLTVS160?
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Thanks,
>  >  >> Darryl
>  >  >>
>  >  >>
>  >  >> Redhat-install-list mailing list
>  >  >> Redhat-install-list at redhat.com
>  >  >>
>  >  >
>  >  >

>  >  >
>  >  >> To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message
to: