SCSI Tape Drive - LUN Support

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Aug 25 22:23:23 UTC 2004

Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
> So you have a dell
>
> that came with the PERCRAID controller installed
> 	(how come your list does not show disk drives off this
> controller?
>
> One scsi controller on the Motherboard connected to the
> cdrom drive
>
> and you added in the Adaptec cabled to an external DLT. The
> DLT is terminated.
>
> If you leave the adaptec card in, but disconnect the DLT
> from the card,
> the CDROM will work upon a reboot, correct?

Gang, PLEASE BOTTOM POST!  This is getting harder and harder to follow.

Darryl,

Reboot the machine.  DO NOT do the "insmod aic7xxx" stuff at first.
Do an "lsmod" and verify that the aacraid and aic7xxx modules are
loaded.  If the aic7xxx module ISN'T loaded (and it may not be as the
only thing on the controller is the tape), then go ahead and do the
"insmod aic7xxx" or "modprobe aic7xxx".

Your CD should show up as /dev/scd0.  Your tape should show up as
/dev/st0.  You can verify by putting a CD in and trying to mount it:

	mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

If it mounts, you're OK.

Check the tape by inserting a tape and:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind

and see if the tape actually rewinds.
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -