Setting up CVS on RH8?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 10 17:30:13 UTC 2004

Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm trying to get CVS working on RH8. After reading a bunch of
> documentation and tutorials, I can check out modules as root, but not as
> any other user. I get something like cannot create lock file. I'm using
> the default RH8 install. I think the problem has to do with file
> permissions in the CVSROOT. I've created a group called cvs and made all
> files and directories in the CVSROOT have cvs as the group. I notice that
> all the files seem to only have read permission for the owner and the
> group. Any suggestions on what I need to do to make this work? Do I need
> to create a user called cvs?

The permissions are correct, as you're only supposed to check out or
add files by using the cvscheckout and cvscheckin files.

A full user's guide is included with the RPM.  Go to /usr/share/doc/cvs*
and use ghostview to look at the "cvs.ps" file.  I HIGHLY recommend you
print it out and read it.  Most, if not all, of your questions will be
answered in there.
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -