quota

tariq samsudeen tariq.samsudeen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 01:18:24 UTC 2004

hi gurus,
im here once again with a doubt, but this time itz with quota....
i dont hv any problem with quota configuration, but i dont see itz effective....
first let me describe my settings....

i had my home directory in /, so i created a seperated partition
/dev/hda8 and mounted my home directory thr......

my fstab line after adding usrquota is
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 2

i remounted the home directory using
mount -o remount /home

thn i created a new user named "quotauser"
i also created aquota.user file under home directory

i ran "quotacheck -avum"

thn i used "edquota -u quotauser" and specified inode soft limit 10
and hard limit 15 files....i logged in as quotauser and created more
than 15 files, but it didnt block me......i also tried for 1000 and
1500 for blocks...even it doesnt wrk....

whn i ran quota -u quotauser under root, my result was
filesystem   blocks  quota  limit  grace  files  quota  limit  grace
/dev/hda8    13788*     2        3               14*      1      0     6days

i kindly request your suggestions....
thanking you in advance
tariq samsudeen