Wireless - tried to automate - now cannot boot

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:40:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:33:10 -0600, Bob McClure Jr
<robertmcclure at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:22:22AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The machine is hanging at boot time. Not exactly sure where or why.
> >
> > WIreless is working, but it's not getting setup correctly at boot
> > time. To get past this I created a file /root/scripts/wireless witht
> > he following commands:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> > iwconfig wlan0 ESSID XXXXXX
> > iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXX
> > dhclient
> >
> > These commands work at the command line and wireless comes up fine. I
> > did not try the script file by hand. My mistake.
> >
> > I added a call to this file in /etc/rc.local and rebooted. The machine
> > hangs bringin up the network.
> >
> > I tried booting in Knoppix. I see the file but Knoppix is not letting
> > me edit it.
> >
> > All I want to do now is remove the call in rc.local.
> >
> > How can I do this, preferably with the FC2 disks.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> You should be able to boot to single-user and edit the file.  At the
> GRUB screen, with the desired boot line highlighted, hit "a" to append
> to the boot line, then add a space and "single" and hit <Enter>.
>
> When you've fixed it, run "shutdown -r now".
>
> If you want to use the CD, boot with it, and put "linux rescue" at the
> prompt.  Let it mount your system on /mnt/sysimage.  Then enter
>
>   chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> That puts you in your root directory.  Then edit the file.  Then
>
>   exit # the chroot shell
>   exit # rescue mode
>
> Then pop out the CD and let it reboot.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Bob,
   I managed to get it fixed with Knoppix just before your response
came in. I'm not booting into Gnome again.

   Now, I've tested the script file and it works, so it's no big deal
for me to leave it this way for a while. He'll be happy to have
wireless networking at all, even if it comes with the pain of doing an
extra command. I can probably do something under sudo to make it so he
can do it himself.

   The real question is why did it fail when the script call was in
/etc/rc.local? Is that not allowed? The header says it's executed
after all other init scripts. Can I not call a script in this file?
Maybe I have to put the command themselves in there?

Thanks,
Mark