Wireless - tried to automate - now cannot boot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 18:33:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:22:22AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> The machine is hanging at boot time. Not exactly sure where or why.
>
> WIreless is working, but it's not getting setup correctly at boot
> time. To get past this I created a file /root/scripts/wireless witht
> he following commands:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
> iwconfig wlan0 ESSID XXXXXX
> iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXX
> dhclient
>
> These commands work at the command line and wireless comes up fine. I
> did not try the script file by hand. My mistake.
>
> I added a call to this file in /etc/rc.local and rebooted. The machine
> hangs bringin up the network.
>
> I tried booting in Knoppix. I see the file but Knoppix is not letting
> me edit it.
>
> All I want to do now is remove the call in rc.local.
>
> How can I do this, preferably with the FC2 disks.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

You should be able to boot to single-user and edit the file.  At the
GRUB screen, with the desired boot line highlighted, hit "a" to append
to the boot line, then add a space and "single" and hit <Enter>.

When you've fixed it, run "shutdown -r now".

If you want to use the CD, boot with it, and put "linux rescue" at the
prompt.  Let it mount your system on /mnt/sysimage.  Then enter

  chroot /mnt/sysimage

That puts you in your root directory.  Then edit the file.  Then

  exit # the chroot shell
  exit # rescue mode

Then pop out the CD and let it reboot.

Cheers,