Howto install a NIC module automatically

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Dec 28 13:27:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:36:43PM +0000, ksun at abinitio.com wrote:
> Greetings!
>         The particular NIC card, MARWIN, is not recognized by RH
> Enterprise 3. I have to install compiler and make and install a module to
> make this card work. I wonder what rpm package and how I need to modify to
> recogine and configure the card automatically.

Oh, I've been down this road many times with 3c2000 and updated e1000 cards
as I have a client who's tools are strictly stuck with RedHat 7.3.  Every six
months when newer gear comes out it gets harder and harder to install it.

What I do is kickstart the system with a known expantion card (ie a cheap 3c905
or similar).  Then I build the module required.

To cover the possibility that there are going to be different kernels in the
future, I leave an 'installNIC' script on the system which runs before the
kudzu, which does this:

---install3c2000:
#!/bin/bash

REV=`uname -r`
if [ -z "$REV" ] ; then
        exit 1;
fi

if [ ! -f /lib/modules/$REV/kernel/drivers/net/3c2000.o ] ; then
        cd /lib/modules/3c2000
        tar xfz 3c2000.tar.gz
        cd 3c2000
        make
        cp 3c2000.o /lib/modules/$REV/kernel/drivers/net/
        depmod -a
        insmod 3c2000
        cd ..
        rm -rf 3c2000
fi

if [ ! -f /lib/modules/$REV/kernel/drivers/net/3c2000.o ] ; then
        exit 1;
fi
---END

Build logic changes from module to module.

Naturally, you have to be strict about leaving the kernel source in
place when running a new kernel for the first time.

I also create an updated kickstart CD image which includes the new
module; you can see my notes at

http://xdroop.dhs.org/space/Linux+Custom+Boot+CD+for+RedHat+7.3

>         Please e-mail me at ksun at abinitio.com

CC'd; however you should really subscribe to the list if you want
help from it.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: