OT:Apache question

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Feb 20 18:18:50 UTC 2004

Greg Julius wrote:

> Mark, I'm no great expert on Apache so I hope others will chime in with
> ideas.
>
> An alert box you say?  Or a web-page with that message?  What browser
> are you using?

I'm using Mozilla and IE5 under Wine. IE5 just says the page cannot be
displayed. Mozilla gives the alert.

An 'Alert' box. Try it yourself:

Works:

http://marksmusic.myvnc.com

Fails with Alert:

http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files

If it matters (and it might) there are two things I can think of that I did:

1) I have NEVER known what to put in my hosts files on my home network,
so this is what I currently have:

# /etc/hosts:  This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#              mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#              used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#              On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#              "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
#              and any aliases to this file...
#

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.26    Wizard.knechthome.com   Wizard
# IPV6 versions of localhost and co
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

The Alert box message replicates the name for 192.168.1.26,
Wizard.knechthome.com

2) Low probability but I'm using no-ip to set up this DNS record. I do
not own myvnc.com. It's a free service. Maybe there's somethign weird
about using services like this? (I doubt it.)

> Is the above website address supposed to be visible to the internet at
> large, or just within your own network?

Yes. Try it yourself.