R:Re: vncserver startup at boot

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Feb 21 01:37:38 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:

>>  if I run vncserver as root.. viewer works fine. If I run it as a service
>>  viewer responds with failed to connect to server.
>>  I think its due to not finding the files vncserver creates in the
>>  /root/.vnc directory.
>>
>>  How do I fix this?
>
>> >Er, how do you mean "run it as a service"?
>
> Its selected in the Service configuration or [@>]service vncserver start.
> which displays OK but no client connection are possible.

After you do that, can you do a "ps -ax | grep vnc" and see what lines
pop up?  If any do (beyond the line containing "grep"), please post them
so I can see what's up.

> if I do [@>]vncserver as root its does it thing and clients can connect.
>
> What file are the below mentioned options set in?
> Took a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd and didn't find any thing for Xvnc.
> nothing in /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver.
>
> Where does the displaynumber stuff get set as ":0" is the console.

Well, the stuff is in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers.  The file should
contain a line:

	VNCSERVERS="1:username1 2:username2"

That line should spawn VNC servers on displays :1 and :2, based on the
usernames listed (which MUST exist on the system and MUST have home
directories with a ".vnc" directory in it).

The ~usernameX/.vnc directories contain a "passwd" file which contains
the encrypted password to access the server, and an "xstartup" file that
controls the session.

> Thanks
>
>> >If you simply run Xvnc, it
>> >should create the necessary stuff and detatch.  You should then be able
>> >to get at it from any client if your firewall allows it.
>
>> >If you want to run Xvnc from xinetd, make sure you specify the "-inetd"
>> >option in the "serverargs =" bit.
>
>> >Also, make sure you use the ":displaynumber" stuff on the host name if
>>the display is anything but ":0" or it surely won't work.
>> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     _rstevens at vitalstream.com_ -
>> >- VitalStream, Inc.                       _http://www.vitalstream.com_ -
>> >-            "You think that's tough?  Try herding cats!"            -
>
>                  \\|//
>               -(@ @)-
>
> Stewart Walker
> swalker at caspercollege.edu

-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -