R:Re: vncserver startup at boot

Stewart Walker swalker at caspercollege.edu
Mon Feb 23 19:18:29 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:

>>  if I run vncserver as root.. viewer works fine. If I run it as a service
>>  viewer responds with failed to connect to server.
>>  I think its due to not finding the files vncserver creates in the
>>  /root/.vnc directory.
>>
>>  How do I fix this?
>
>> >Er, how do you mean "run it as a service"?
>
> Its selected in the Service configuration or [@>]service vncserver start.
> which displays OK but no client connection are possible.

vncserver started during boot - ps aux |grep vnc or Xvnc .. no results.

Same goes for ... service vncserver start ...
and the client can not connect.
then
logged in as root at the root home prompt .. just typing vncserver
starts the vncserver AND the client is able to connect.

ps aux |grep vnc results are ..
2531 /ts/1    S    0:00  Xvnc :1 -desktop X -http /usr/share/vnc/classes -aut

see below for /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

> if I do [@>]vncserver as root its does it thing and clients can connect.
>
> What file are the below mentioned options set in?
> Took a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd and didn't find any thing for Xvnc.
> nothing in /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver.
>
> Where does the displaynumber stuff get set as ":0" is the console.

VNCSERVERS="1:username" is commented out in the vncservers file.
Guess thats the problem..
header says not to use this if connected to the internet so guess I'd
better check out doing ssh.

How do I tell what user vncserver is running as when the service is started
at boot time.

                 \\|//
              -(@ @)-

Stewart Walker