OT:Apache question

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 17:59:37 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 10:01, Greg Julius wrote:

> I'm replying on this note because the last one clipped out the above parts.
>
> Mark,

<SNIP>
> I've got this funny feeling that the re-direction is being caused by
> no-ip.com's redirection of your marksmusic.myvnc.com name.  How is it set
> up to re-direct?  I gather you are using this service because you don't
> have a fixed IP, but one that changes.

That is correct.

> Something supplied by your ISP I
> would guess.  I've not had to play around with that because my IP is fixed
> so I'm guessing a bit, hoping that it will spark some ideas in those that
> are more knowledgeable.
>
> How does no-ip.com get your updated IP?  When you start up/connect, do you
> have something that runs to inform no-ip.com of your possibly changed
> IP?  What IP would that be?  When I ping marksmusic.myvnc.com I get
> 67.169.98.227 which appears to be an IP of the comcast.net network.

And that's my firewall's DHCP address as granted by Comcast.

No-IP runs a daemon that goes out to my firewall every so often and
checks its address and then sends it up to No-ip's DNS servers. You sign
up for a name for free, run this daemon and then it keeps up with any
changes to the firewall's address. It works very well for my main
requirement which is to shh in here a few times a day.

> When I visit 67.169.98.227 I get a page titled Marks Music.  When I visit
> 67.169.98.227/files, I get a redirect to marksmusic.myvnc.com/files and I
> see a directory list of things, one of which is glass1.wav.
>
> I just got another email from you, so yes, it's working.  I just clicked on
> the link you specified and there they were again.

Great. Thanks! I saw you playing something as gkrellm showed some
Ethernet traffic.

> I still think the solution has (had?) something to do with notifying
> no-ip.com of the IP and some re-direction issue.

Might be, but I still think I don't know the *proper* way to set up a
hosts file... (That's the only change I made to get past this problem.

> Anyway, you've got it working and that's what counts.
> -g

Sure it. Thanks for your help.

- Mark