OT:Apache question

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 18:57:21 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 10:01, Greg Julius wrote:
>
>>I'm replying on this note because the last one clipped out the above parts.
>>
>>Mark,
>>
><SNIP>
>
>>I've got this funny feeling that the re-direction is being caused by
>>no-ip.com's redirection of your marksmusic.myvnc.com name.  How is it set
>>up to re-direct?  I gather you are using this service because you don't
>>have a fixed IP, but one that changes.
>>

>That is correct.

Yes, I feel it is a DNS issue too. I feel Greg is correct is suggesting
that if you don't run DNS then putting all the computers on your network
in the hosts file on all of the computers is a Good Idea (tm). I run DNS
on my internal network here, not because it is a complicated set up (6
computers) but I wanted to learn about BIND and setting up a local DNS
was a good way to do it.

>And that's my firewall's DHCP address as granted by Comcast.
>
>No-IP runs a daemon that goes out to my firewall every so often and
>checks its address and then sends it up to No-ip's DNS servers. You sign
>up for a name for free, run this daemon and then it keeps up with any
>changes to the firewall's address. It works very well for my main
>requirement which is to shh in here a few times a day.

I've managed to avoid dynamic DNS (I have a static address from my ISP)
so I don't have any experience of it to comment. Perhaps I should try
setting up dynamic DNS on my own internal network to learn.

I've clicked on your links and it all looks good now. In my hosts file I
just use the computer name as the alias, e.g:
192.168.0.1 server.homemanordata.nodom server
The alias could be anything but I've never used anything but the
computer name. So how does using an alias of "wizard" work? Thinking out
load, what have you got in /etc/resolv.conf? If a name cannot be
resolved then (as I understand it) /etc/resolv.conf is examined for any
"search" lines. If you had "search marksmusic.myvnc.com" in there then,
as "wizard" on its own will not resolve, it will try appending the
search domain to make "wizard.marksmusic.myvnc.com" which does resolve,
but to the IP address of "marksmusic.myvnc.com". Hmm, maybe this is so
or maybe I'm talking rubbish. It would be nice to know.

Glad its working now, that is the main thing. Sorry about the delay in
responding, my ISP decided to break the ppp program their end, so
although I could dial in I could not establish a ppp link. That is a
while ago now, its fixed now, but it was a couple of hours down.

Regards

Chris