Two HD system

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 26 00:05:27 UTC 2004

Spero Manolatos wrote:
> I am using a Dell 933 mhz pc with two disk drives.
>

> One drive is for windows XP and the second dedicated to RH Linux 7.0,
> both 40 GB drives.
>

> Powerquest 8.0 was used to install the two OS.
>

> Question: I would like to upgrade RH7.0 to Fedora or instll Fedora as a
> separate OS using Power quest.
>

> How can this be done?

PowerQuest is just a partition manager and boot loader.  It depends on
what you really want to do.

If you wish to upgrade RH7.0 to FC1, just download and burn the ISO
images of Fedora to CDs and boot the first CD.  It will allow you to
upgrade 7.0 on the second HD.

If you wish to install FC1 IN ADDITION to RH7.0, then you need to decide
which drive you want FC1 on and resize the existing partitions on that
drive to make room for FC1.  The freed-up space must NOT be allocated
to any partition--it must be "unused" space.  PowerQuest is a good tool
to use to do that.

Once you've got an adequate amount of unused space on one of the drives,
you can boot the first Fedora CD and install on that drive, specifying
the "unused" part of the disk and letting Fedora partition it for you.
You need the following amount of space for Fedora:

	Disk space minums:
	Minimal custom install: 520MB
	Server: 870MB
	Personal Desktop: 1.9GB
	Workstation: 2.4GB
	Full installation (everything): 5.3GB

	RAM requirements:
	Text install: 64MB
	Graphic install: 192MB (minimum), 256MB (recommended)

Welcome to Fedora.  You may also want to subscribe to the fedora-
specific mailing list:

but we'll be glad to help as far as we can (I belong to both lists).
-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -