external firewire hard drive on RHEL AS 3

Benjamin Hornberger bho at gmx.net
Tue Jul 13 15:24:31 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting an external firewire hard drive and an external
firewire DVD writer to work on RHEL AS 3 (academic license). I installed
the kernel-smp-unsupported package (which at the first time messed up my
network cards, but at the second time seemed to work). I loaded the
ieee1394, ohci1394, raw1394 and sbp2 modules, but the latter seems to make
some problems.

On boot, I get a message like "insmod: a module named sbp2 already exist",
or something like that. I can't recall the exact message because it is not
logged in /var/log/boot.log (any hints what is actually logged there, why
not all the boot messages?)

When I run gscanbus, I see both devices (external hard drive and external
DVD writer). When I do cdrecord -scanbus or more /proc/scsi/scsi, they
don't show up. It looks like that firewire in principle is working, but
they are not recognized as SCSI devices.

Any hints? In general, any hints on how device names / numbers (/dev/scd0
etc.) are given when there are removable drives?

By the way, both devices worked easily on RH 9.

Thanks for your help!