Update Apache

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 13 15:59:24 UTC 2004

Jordi Llorens wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm get a working environment, with RH8 : apache 2.0.40, php, and other
> related packages. I want to update my apache server, because this
> version is out of date , and has so many security flavours. My question
> is, how i update apache without the other packages are affected? I'm
> tried to run a rpm of the 2.0.47 version, and has failed due to missing
> dependencies (openssl, for example).  Are a rpm package that can i
> install that resolves the security problems of the 2.0.40? or only can
> update?

You can force an update by using "rpm -Fvh --force whatever.rpm", but
I don't recommend it unless you really, really know what you're doing.
The dependencies are there for a reason.  If you force the update, there
is no guarantee that things will work properly if you don't satisfy the
dependencies.

So, use the "--force" option, but use it at your own risk.
-        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.       -