external firewire hard drive on RHEL AS 3

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 16:18:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Benjamin Hornberger wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:24:31 -0400
> From: Benjamin Hornberger <bho at gmx.net>
> To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
> Subject: external firewire hard drive on RHEL AS 3
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble getting an external firewire hard drive and an external
> firewire DVD writer to work on RHEL AS 3 (academic license). I installed
> the kernel-smp-unsupported package (which at the first time messed up my
> network cards, but at the second time seemed to work). I loaded the
> ieee1394, ohci1394, raw1394 and sbp2 modules, but the latter seems to make
> some problems.
>
> On boot, I get a message like "insmod: a module named sbp2 already exist",
> or something like that. I can't recall the exact message because it is not
> logged in /var/log/boot.log (any hints what is actually logged there, why
> not all the boot messages?)
>
> When I run gscanbus, I see both devices (external hard drive and external
> DVD writer). When I do cdrecord -scanbus or more /proc/scsi/scsi, they
> don't show up. It looks like that firewire in principle is working, but
> they are not recognized as SCSI devices.
>
> Any hints? In general, any hints on how device names / numbers (/dev/scd0
> etc.) are given when there are removable drives?

The firewire stack has been a bit of a moving target ...

iirc, you can get your disks registered as scsi block devices by doing

echo "scsi add-single-device n1 n2 n3 n4" > /proc/scsi/scsi

where n1 is scsi bus, n2 is scsi channel, n3 is scsi id, and n4 is the device lun. If you have
no other devices in /proc/scsi/scsi, it's a fair assumption that n1, n2, n3, and n4 are all zero.

Once you have one device registered on a scsi channel, just keep moving up the chain, eg n2++

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants