external firewire hard drive on RHEL AS 3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 13 20:45:41 UTC 2004

Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> At 09:11 AM 7/13/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>

>> Then I'd guess the sg module is not seeing the firewire properly.  There
>> is a rescan SCSI bus script available at
>>
>>         http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
>

> That helped! It works now.

Good.  I dug that out of the comments in the source code for the sbp2
module.  Yet another reason to support open source!

>> which may help.  May I ask if there was a reason you used the
>> unsupported kernel?
>

> Because Redhat doesn't support firewire in their Enterprise version. The
> kernel-smp-unsupported is "provided as a courtesy"...

Ah! "Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Dumbed down for stability."  I guess that
makes some sort of sense.  Sheesh!
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -