RH8 --> FC2 upgrade

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 15 05:37:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 04:21, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello Folks, I have just ordered my FC2 4 CD set from EverythingLinux
> > and am hoping that I can do a simple 'upgrade' from RH8 to FC2. Has
> > anyone had any experience doing such an upgrade that they would like to
> > share?
>
> The upgrade should work, although that's a quantum leap (8.0 -> FC2).

Might as well go to the latest :-)

> Be aware of the fact that FC2 uses Xorg's X implementation rather than
> XFree86's.  If you get glitches in the X system22/06/04, bring the system up
> in text mode, go to /etc/X11 and rename all of the XFree86 config files.
> If Xorg sees them, it will try to use some of the settings there and
> some are not compatible.
>
> Also be aware that you're going to a 2.6 kernel.  There aren't as many
> drivers available for 2.6 and the kernel layout and modules are quite
> a bit different (/etc/modules.conf replaced by /etc/modprobe.conf and
> the modules themselves now have a ".ko" filetype).  I think you'll find
> it faster but don't be too upset if some of your hardware isn't
> supported.  The kernel also uses a different stack size than the 2.4
> kernel, so Nvidia's drivers won't work.  You must go to their website
> and get the "4k" kernel versions of their drivers.

Thanks Rick, I am hoping that all will be OK. I don't have much
out-of-the-ordinary hardware. A bog-standard video card and monitor, a
usb ext. HD, a Zip 100 usb powered drive, Epson Perfection 640U scanner,
Epson Stylus Colour 460 Parallel Port printer plus the usual MB stuff.
Here's keeping my fingers crossed, 'X', I know of no way to back out if
all goes pear-shaped but I have backed up my home directory and the
/etc/ directory.
--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Advice from an old carpenter: measure twice, saw once.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -