NIS problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 15 22:43:26 UTC 2004

Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
> It works now, thanks! However, it worked only after a reboot, restarting
> ypbind only didn't help. What other services do I have to restart when
> changing the NIS configuration, if I want to avoid rebooting?

The best is

	service ypbind restart
or

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart

The problem is that if you kill the ypbind process and restart it, you
leave the old maps in /var/yp/binding.  ypbind won't overwrite them, so
you still have the old mappings.  The above commands stop ypbind, delete
the offending maps, then restarts ypbind.  ypbind then rebuilds the maps
with the correct data based on your new config.

> At 02:49 PM 7/15/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Hornberger wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am having problems getting a NIS system to work on RHEL AS3 (both
>>> client and server). I set up the server and the client, the client
>>> finds the server (ypwhich -m gives all the maps, ypcat passwd shows
>>> the correct password entries), and on the client I can finger users
>>> which exist only on the NIS server. But such a user can't log in.
>>> I would guess it has to do with the password shadowing, so that the
>>> client would find the user but the user's password on the server is
>>> not accepted by the client. Any hints?
>>

>> Check the /etc/nsswitch.conf file and make sure you have THESE lines
>> uncommented:
>>
>>         passwd:    db files nisplus nis
>>         shadow:    db files nisplus nis
>>         group:     db files nisplus nis
>>
>> Make sure these lines are commented out:
>>
>>         #passwd:     files
>>         #shadow:     files
>>         #group:      files
>>
>> You want the first set to be active to check against the NIS server.
>> The second group will only check passwords and such against the local
>> files (which is the default if you did NOT specify NIS during the AS3
>> installation and added NIS later).
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> - Do not taunt the sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger -

- Linux is like a wigwam...no windows, no gates...and apache inside! -