RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Jul 17 05:52:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 03:19, Rick Stevens wrote:

<snip>

> > Hello Rick,
> >
> > I don't know what I would do without your expertise when I take the leap
> > into the unknown. Its people like yourself and the others on this list
> > that make the Linux community what it is.
>
> {blush!}  Aw, shucks!  ;-)
>
> >                                           I hope that I can start to
> > make a contribution myself.
>
> You will, you will.  Just the simple fact you use Linux helps.  More
> users = more solutions.
>
> >                            I understand what you are saying about the
> > learning curve, though since yesterday I have managed to get things up
> > and running OK. Your advice on removing the irq and CUPS was important
> > to me and thanks for the xorg.conf file. The 4 CD set I purchased didn't
> > have any documentation with it. With my RH8 CDs I was able to install
> > all the docs which was a real help. I will have to see if I can download
> > some documentation rpms. Will let you know how it all goes over the next
> > couple of weeks.
>
> Glad to help, Graeme.  Most of the should have been installed with the
> RPMs (well, the man pages at least).  "Special" docs usually get shoved
> into /usr/share/doc.
>
> If you're up on FC2 now, remember to use "yum" to update your system
> (yum is the FC replacement for up2date).  The /etc/yum.conf file that
> comes with FC only mentions the Red Hat update repository.  It's often
> VERY busy, so you may wish to utilize this version of the file to get at
> a couple of mirrors:
>
> ----------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------------
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=fedora-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> gpgcheck=1
>

> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
> # The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>          http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>          http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os
>

> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> # The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>          http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>          http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>

> #[updates-testing]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> #baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever
> ----------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------------

> [...]

Hi again Rick, I have been running FC2 all day today and it is all
pretty stable. I used your xorg.conf file as a template and set up my
screen. 1024x768 is much better than 640x480. I changed to CUPS, no
problem there, the printer is now running fine. The eth0/1 problem I
fixed early as I said in a previous post. Everything is working just
fine at the moment. The usb is still a bit flakey, sometimes it fails to
recognise the Zip drive and other times it fails to recognise my 60G usb
Ext. HD (my main Backup medium). Not too sure why yet. The two CDROMS
are now hdc and hdd instead of scsi? Not too sure why that is but they
appear to work fine after changes to fstab to reflect their new
/dev/(name). This info was obtained from the hardware browser btw. I
downloaded the latest pine tarball but decided not to install it as I
only used it to read system generated mail. I have changed to mutt. The
only package that wont run is gnucash, bombs out not being able to load
libraries etc. I will have to re-compile it sometime soon.

All in all, I'm very happy with FC2 and glad I took the leap.

Thank you,

Graeme.

p.s. I haven't got my sig working in Evolution 1.4 yet, But will do.