RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 19 17:17:47 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> [...]
>>>and running OK. Your advice on removing the irq and CUPS was important
>>>to me and thanks for the xorg.conf file. The 4 CD set I purchased didn't
>>>have any documentation with it. With my RH8 CDs I was able to install
>>>all the docs which was a real help. I will have to see if I can download
>>>some documentation rpms. Will let you know how it all goes over the next
>>>couple of weeks.
>>
>>Glad to help, Graeme.  Most of the should have been installed with the
>>RPMs (well, the man pages at least).  "Special" docs usually get shoved
>>into /usr/share/doc.
>>
>>If you're up on FC2 now, remember to use "yum" to update your system
>>(yum is the FC replacement for up2date).  The /etc/yum.conf file that
>>comes with FC only mentions the Red Hat update repository.  It's often
>>VERY busy, so you may wish to utilize this version of the file to get at
>>a couple of mirrors:
>>
>>----------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------------
>>[main]
>>cachedir=/var/cache/yum
>>debuglevel=2
>>logfile=/var/log/yum.log
>>pkgpolicy=newest
>>distroverpkg=fedora-release
>>tolerant=1
>>exactarch=1
>>gpgcheck=1
>>

>>[base]
>>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
>>http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
>># The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
>>baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>>         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
>>         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os
>>

>>[updates-released]
>>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
>># The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
>>baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>>         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>>         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch
>>

>>#[updates-testing]
>>#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
>>#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever
>>----------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------------
>>
>>You can add more mirrors as you wish.  To do a full update:
>>
>>	# yum -y update
>>
>>It'll take a bit of time, but it'll update your system fully.  yum is a
>>"good thing".
>>
>>The URHILW (http://www.rhil.net) has NTFS modules for FC1 and FC2, too.
>>

>>>Again, thanks very much.
>>
>>No problem, Graeme.
>

> Hi again Rick, I have been running FC2 all day today and it is all
> pretty stable. I used your xorg.conf file as a template and set up my
> screen. 1024x768 is much better than 640x480.

Yes, it is.  I run 1280x1024 on my 19" screens.  My laptop is 1400x1050.

>                                                 I changed to CUPS, no
> problem there, the printer is now running fine. The eth0/1 problem I
> fixed early as I said in a previous post. Everything is working just
> fine at the moment. The usb is still a bit flakey, sometimes it fails to
> recognise the Zip drive and other times it fails to recognise my 60G usb
> Ext. HD (my main Backup medium). Not too sure why yet.

Have you looked at dmesg to see what it's detecting?

>                                                         The two CDROMS
> are now hdc and hdd instead of scsi? Not too sure why that is but they
> appear to work fine after changes to fstab to reflect their new
> /dev/(name).

Kernel 2.6.x doesn't need ide-scsi anymore to force ATAPI devices to
emulate SCSI, so the "hdc=ide-scsi" in your boot commands is not needed
and the devices are handled as IDE now.  The IDE middle layer is smart
enough to do what ide-scsi used to.

>            This info was obtained from the hardware browser btw. I
> downloaded the latest pine tarball but decided not to install it as I
> only used it to read system generated mail. I have changed to mutt. The
> only package that wont run is gnucash, bombs out not being able to load
> libraries etc. I will have to re-compile it sometime soon.
>
> All in all, I'm very happy with FC2 and glad I took the leap.

Hmmmm.  Gnucash works OK for me, but that's via the RPM--not a source
tarball install.

> p.s. I haven't got my sig working in Evolution 1.4 yet, But will do.

Heheheheh!  If you want to use my program, Download

	http://www.rhil.net/tools/genmailsig.tar.gz

As for a client, I use Mozilla or Firefox/Thunderbird.
-             I sure wish I had a clever .signature here!            -