RH8 --> FC2 Upgrade done

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 20 04:52:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 03:17, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
<snip>

> > Hi again Rick, I have been running FC2 all day today and it is all
> > pretty stable. I used your xorg.conf file as a template and set up my
> > screen. 1024x768 is much better than 640x480.
>
> Yes, it is.  I run 1280x1024 on my 19" screens.  My laptop is 1400x1050.

I wouldn't mind those resolutions but I will have to make do with my
existing screen which has 1024x768 max resolution.

> >                                      I changed to CUPS, no
> > problem there, the printer is now running fine. The eth0/1 problem I
> > fixed early as I said in a previous post. Everything is working just
> > fine at the moment. The usb is still a bit flakey, sometimes it fails to
> > recognise the Zip drive and other times it fails to recognise my 60G usb
> > Ext. HD (my main Backup medium). Not too sure why yet.
>
> Have you looked at dmesg to see what it's detecting?

Yep! but I don't have enough experience to fully understand what I am
looking at. I sent a copy of the last bit of dmesg to the list today
hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

> >                                                         The two CDROMS
> > are now hdc and hdd instead of scsi? Not too sure why that is but they
> > appear to work fine after changes to fstab to reflect their new
> > /dev/(name).
>
> Kernel 2.6.x doesn't need ide-scsi anymore to force ATAPI devices to
> emulate SCSI, so the "hdc=ide-scsi" in your boot commands is not needed
> and the devices are handled as IDE now.  The IDE middle layer is smart
> enough to do what ide-scsi used to.

Do I need to change any boot scripts?

> >            This info was obtained from the hardware browser btw. I
> > downloaded the latest pine tarball but decided not to install it as I
> > only used it to read system generated mail. I have changed to mutt. The
> > only package that wont run is gnucash, bombs out not being able to load
> > libraries etc. I will have to re-compile it sometime soon.
> >
> > All in all, I'm very happy with FC2 and glad I took the leap.
>
> Hmmmm.  Gnucash works OK for me, but that's via the RPM--not a source
> tarball install.

Works for me now too. I used yum to install it. All went OK.

> > p.s. I haven't got my sig working in Evolution 1.4 yet, But will do.
>
> Heheheheh!  If you want to use my program, Download
>
> 	http://www.rhil.net/tools/genmailsig.tar.gz
>
> As for a client, I use Mozilla or Firefox/Thunderbird.

Thanks for the offer. Will do. But I think there is a bit more to sigs
in Evo 1.4. There is no facility to point to a file anymore. Its not
very high on my priority list at the moment. Maybe in the next couple of
days when work allows.

Thanks Rick,

regards,

Graeme.