Please Help!! - "Kernel Panic - Attempted to kill init!"

Steve Kasian stevekasian at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 23 08:57:33 UTC 2004

Hi.  I am writing about a problem that seems to be fairly common, yet
nobody has ever offered up a solution or any useful advice for getting
past it in the last 2 years anywhere I've found on the net.

Upon attempting to install RedHat Linux (in my case v9), I am greeted
with the exact same stack dump everyone else has reported with this
problem, followed by:

"Kernel Panic - Attempted to kill init!"

followed by an immediate system hang.  The only keys that work beyond
this point are some combinations of Ctrl/Alt
PrintScrn-SysRq/Pause-Break, but they just spit out useless information.

I have tried every single variation of commands available from the Boot
: prompt, and to no avail.  I have tried everything everyone on the net
has offered up as a solution to others with this problem, and to no
avail.

I am attempting to install RedHat Linux 9 using the following:

Motherboard: Soyo KT-400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition(No onboard video)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Memory: 512MB Samsung DDR333 RAM
HDD: 40GB Maxtor UATA/133

The motherboard has various onboard components which have all been
switched off in the bios, just to be on the safe side. 'Didn't help at
all.

Just like everyone else, I have used multiple media types/installation
methods to the exact same end.

I downloaded and burned the very latest version of ISO CD1 tonight, as I
thought there might be an update included in it which would address this
issue.  Still didn't work.

I am lost.  I would very much appreciate it if someone could send some
--useful-- advice my way!!  If I could afford it, I'd offer a reward!!

Please, no complaints about my text not being exactly how you like to
read it, etc...  this is childish and pointless.  I am only looking for
with this error, and can give me an educated response as to how I can
correct it.  No "iffy" suggestions please.  I have spent literally weeks
going through hundreds of suggestions and had absolutely no luck with
any of them getting me anywhere other than frustrated as all heck.

Thanks...

-Steve