Can't install RH Enterprise 3 desktop; white screen lockup

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Jul 28 22:26:53 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 22:26, Phil O wrote:
> Looks as though the "linux text" install will work,
> but I 'm stopping the current install before I
> partition my drive.  Where do I need to read up on how
> I can partition the drive leaving the current Windows
> install?  It is XP Home/FAT32, taking up the entire
> 30GB drive.  Will I need Partition Magic, or are there
> free alternatives?  I'd rather not "kill" Windows on
> this machine if I don't have to (even though I have a
> Ghost of it).  Thanks for the advice.
You will need to shrink your windows partition before installing, as there are
no facilities for doing so in the RHEL installer.
Partition magic is one way to do this. If you have an install set and don't
mind the risk, you can also shrink FAT32 partitions/filesystems using parted
in rescue mode. ( I've never had problems with this, but, as they say, YMMV)
other partition editing tools include...
ranish partition manager  - very bios-like interface but otherwise supposed to
be very good ( nb, I haven't used it!!)
http://www.ranish.com/part/
alternatively, you cna look at
http://www.tucows.com/search
searching for 'partition' brought up 28 different tools, some of which are
Free ( at least in terms of financial cost).
I repeat, in the interests of self-protection, that I have tried _none_ of
these tools, with the exception of parted, and cannot vouch for their
effectiveness or safety.
If you'd like advice on how to use parted before you install, let me know...

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX