Can't install RH Enterprise 3 desktop; white screen lockup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 28 22:32:21 UTC 2004

Phil O wrote:
> Looks as though the "linux text" install will work,
> but I 'm stopping the current install before I
> partition my drive.  Where do I need to read up on how
> I can partition the drive leaving the current Windows
> install?  It is XP Home/FAT32, taking up the entire
> 30GB drive.  Will I need Partition Magic, or are there
> free alternatives?  I'd rather not "kill" Windows on
> this machine if I don't have to (even though I have a
> Ghost of it).  Thanks for the advice.

You'll need free space on the hard drive for Linux to install in.  How
you get it is up to you.  Partition Magic is one commercial package.  So
is Partition Commander.  There are free packages also, such as parted or
gparted that can do it.

I might recommend you download and burn the "Ultimate Boot CD" at
http://www.ultimatebootcd.org.  It has lots of good tools for doing such
work and a raft of diagnostics, too.  And it's free.
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -