RH v8.0 Performance

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 3 16:34:27 UTC 2004

Karl Pearson wrote:
> Howdy Esteemed Ones:
>
> I've completed the install/upgrade of my RHv8.0 email/web(...) server with
> ClamAV, Spamassassin, Majordomo, Apache, Squirrelmail, etc.
>
> Performance was great until I got Spamassassin going. The box has a single
> P-III, 800 Mgz CPU and 512MB Ram... The thing passed 11,300+ emails
> through in the past 30 hours.
>
> The main issue is Squirrelmail. I've upped the number of httpd processes,
> but I'm not very familiar with Apache v2.0.40-8 (SSL settings from my old
> version failed so nicely that I had to disable it by renaming
> ~/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf)
>
> In any case, Squirrelmail was quite quick, and still is during off-peak
> times, but is now intolerably slow.

Have you done a "top" to see which processes are sucking up the CPU?
Those are the ones to tweak.

Note that spamassassin can be a real CPU hog (perl often is)--expecially
if you have large corpuses to go through for spam classification.  I'm
not saying that's the culprit, but our systems use bogofilter (written
in C).
-         "OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't TOUCH anything!"         -