help: cups printing

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 3 16:48:31 UTC 2004

roland brouwers wrote:
> [...]

You're trying to use an SCO driver on Linux?  Egad!  I'm amazed it works
at all!

> He does the same thing with 2 different drivers, laserjet5 and
> oki320-Microline-needleprinter
> The same driver works with MSWindows. I configured the printers on
> WinXpPro and skipped Linux (transparent printing on a
> terminalemulator).It worked.
> The strange thing is that it prints exactly 2 times, without losing
> anything.
> I had the same problem on another installation.

I'm not surprised.  SCO and Linux are not the same thing in the least.

> Couldn't there be some kind of setting where the spooler resends the
> printing, when he thinks the printing was not correct? Or can it be that
> the printing is to fast? (I print in charactermode, so it is very fast)
> I never had this problem with SCO, where offcourse CUPS is not used but
> lpd.

Well, no, there's no such setting.  Can I ask why you're using an SCO
driver for either of these two printers when perfectly functional CUPS
drivers for each are shipped with Linux?

> Probably like always I will be the only one in this world to have this
> problem.

Well, yeah.  You're the first person I've heard of trying to make a
SVR4 or SVR3 SCO Unix driver work on Linux.
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -