help: cups printing

roland brouwers roland at cat.be
Fri Jun 4 07:51:52 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Stevens
Sent: donderdag 3 juni 2004 17:49
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: help: cups printing

roland brouwers wrote:
> [...]

You're trying to use an SCO driver on Linux?  Egad!  I'm amazed it works
at all!

> He does the same thing with 2 different drivers, laserjet5 and
> oki320-Microline-needleprinter The same driver works with MSWindows. I

> configured the printers on WinXpPro and skipped Linux (transparent
> printing on a terminalemulator).It worked.
> The strange thing is that it prints exactly 2 times, without losing
> anything.
> I had the same problem on another installation.

I'm not surprised.  SCO and Linux are not the same thing in the least.

> Couldn't there be some kind of setting where the spooler resends the
> printing, when he thinks the printing was not correct? Or can it be
> that the printing is to fast? (I print in charactermode, so it is very

> fast) I never had this problem with SCO, where offcourse CUPS is not
> used but lpd.

Well, no, there's no such setting.  Can I ask why you're using an SCO
driver for either of these two printers when perfectly functional CUPS
drivers for each are shipped with Linux?

> Probably like always I will be the only one in this world to have this

> problem.

Well, yeah.  You're the first person I've heard of trying to make a SVR4
or SVR3 SCO Unix driver work on Linux.
-----------------------------
The driver I make is not an operating system dependent driver. It just
sends Escape-sequences to the printer.
It is like you would send an CR-LF to the printer. You could send a
$0d0a or hex 0d0a. So you can do anything you like when you know the
Esc-seq.

Without any change, it works under Unix (whatever) Windows and normally
Linux
Offcourse the database I use, Thoroughbred IDOL-IV, is a closed
environment, which handles data, operatingsystem, printers. This means
it handels also the locking and the datatransmission to the printers.
With some coding in the parameter file, settings are done like, printer
locking, spooling Y/N, buffer length eso.
The parameterfile is the same for every operating system. Thoroughbred
takes care of the working.
It looks like this:
CNF 1,16,1,200,,,,D
PTN 1,400000
PRM NOBANNER
PRM UPPER
PRM READONLY
PRM WAITLOCK=0
PRM OPENLIB=IDOL-IV,32700
PRM DEBUG=OOZ00
DEV D0,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\work
DEV D1,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\PROG
DEV D2,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\CATF
DEV D3,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\UCAT
DEV D4,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\IDL4
DEV D5,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\PROH
DEV D6,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\owshp
DEV D7,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\CLEAEUR
DEV D8,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\ADPO
DEV D9,1,,,,,,d:\tbsc\BCAT
DEV DA,1,,,,1,,
;DEV D9,1,,2,,,,S1:c:\temp
;DEV DB,1,,,,,,a:\
;DEV D7,1,,2,,,,S9:e:\miracle\BCAT
DEV LP,4,,256,1,,,LPT1
DEV P1,4,,256,,,,c:\workfile.txt
DEV P2,4,,256,,,,\\travelmate\hpljlav
DEV P3,4,,132,1,1,,lp -dcanon1000
DEV T0,5,,,,,,CON
DEV T1,7,,,,,,TTY1
IPL 1,2,T0,ID
END

P.e.
DEV P3,4,,132,1,1,,lp -dcanon1000
Would PIPE all data send to the printer P3 to the instruction "lp -d
canon1000"
or "lpr -Pcanon1000" which I used for cups. It will have a linebuffer of
132 and will be locked for others.

The only impression I have is that there could be a problem with speed.
This server is very fast.
XEON processor, 1Gb Memory, RAID 5 0-channel. And don't forget I am
sending non-graphic characters.
A listing of 150 pages, he can handle easy in 1 min, off course on disc.

When I print through the terminal printerhandling, which uses the
printers configured under windows, I probably slow down the printing,
and then it works.

My worry is, that I have to do an installation in France with Tiny
terminals(discless), who will use the Linux printing system (Linux
terminalserver). What is going to happen then.

What can I say more?

Thanks again