usb mouse problem

Guy Rouillier guy-rouillier at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 9 16:54:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:23:12 -0500
"EcK3kO [-_-]" <jason_ct22 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi my mouse still doesnt work :'(the problem the same:
>
> during the installation of linux the mouse was working but now after
> that it doesnt work :'(... it works just when the system starts
> (opening network.... setting blablabla....) but when the desktop
> enviroment loads the mouse dont work :'( ....

>From your setting below, I'm assuming you are running a fairly new
XFree86, like one that would be 4.4.0 if not for the licensing that
people don't like for some reason so they call it 4.3.9999.  In that
case, your protocol and device are okay.  You can also use /dev/usbmouse
but it's just a symlink to /dev/input/mice.

I had a similar problem.  Some of the problem may be hardware related.
What hardware are you running?  Try this.  While X is running, pull out
the USB mouse, then insert it again.   For me (eMachines AMD64 laptop
running 64-bit Linux) that would get it going.  I discovered just this
morning that the two side USB ports seem to work fine from a cold start,
while the two rear ones only work from a hot-plug.

Next, see if you are running gpm.  For me, that doesn't work well with
X.  If that is running, change it so it doesn't automatically start at
boot up, reboot and see what happens.

--
Guy Rouillier