yum update server + Network question.

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 15 05:54:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 01:58, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:

> >>That's not correct.  If you want to update RH8 (which DOESN'T use yum by
> >>default), you need to find a mirror of the Fedora Legacy project (8.0 is
> >>not being maintained by Red Hat any longer).
> >>
> >>A valid yum mirror for current RH8.0 updates would be:
> >>
> >>http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
> >>
> >>See http://www.fedoralegacy.org for details.
> >

> > Hi Rick, I checked out the fedora legacy site and decided to follow
> > their advice. They gave instructions for setting up an RH8 system which
> > included updating rpm (several packages), python, gpg and popt. The rpm
> > packages required an update of my glibc, which I updated, again, several
> > packages. I already have a much later version of python and gpg than
> > they advised so I didn't update those. I updated yum to the version they
> > advised and yum.conf to match the one recommended. It uses:
> > http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/updates/
> >
> > as the url. So... all should be well, I hope :-)
>
> Actually, fedoralegacy suggests this yum.conf:
>
> [base]
> name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
> baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
>
> [updates]
> name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
>

> [legacy-utils]
> name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
> baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch
>
> And they have mirrors you can add to the baseurl directives.  The list
> is here:
>
> 	http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php

Thanks for the info Rick. I took a copy of the yum.conf they had on
their RH8 page. I'll change it to the one above.

On a network question, My ADSL Modem/Router with 4 port switch has been
working just dandy. I have added my notebook (also RH8) to the second
port on the switch and I can ping from one to the other. I cannot get to
the internet from the laptop. I set it up the same way as the desktop
machine, but using a different IP address (192.168.1.2), same netmask
(255.255.255.0), same gateway (the IP address of the Modem/Router,
192.168.1.254), bind to mac address etc. One problem I can see that may
cause problems is that both machines have the same name,
localhost.localdomain. Would that be causing the problem and should the
laptop be changed to a different host name, say localhost2.localdomain?
I want to be able to get to the internet from the laptop without firing
up the desktop machine, only the Modem/Router. Any advice very welcome.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Virus due to computers having unsafe sex.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -