yum update server + Network question.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 15 16:34:21 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 01:58, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Graeme Nichols wrote:

>>>Hi Rick, I checked out the fedora legacy site and decided to follow
>>>their advice. They gave instructions for setting up an RH8 system which
>>>included updating rpm (several packages), python, gpg and popt. The rpm
>>>packages required an update of my glibc, which I updated, again, several
>>>packages. I already have a much later version of python and gpg than
>>>they advised so I didn't update those. I updated yum to the version they
>>>advised and yum.conf to match the one recommended. It uses:
>>>http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/updates/
>>>
>>>as the url. So... all should be well, I hope :-)
>>
>>Actually, fedoralegacy suggests this yum.conf:
>>
>>[base]
>>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
>>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
>>
>>[updates]
>>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
>>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
>>

>>[legacy-utils]
>>name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
>>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch
>>
>>And they have mirrors you can add to the baseurl directives.  The list
>>is here:
>>
>>	http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php
>

> Thanks for the info Rick. I took a copy of the yum.conf they had on
> their RH8 page. I'll change it to the one above.

Their file should work too.  You may wish to add some of their mirror
servers to your yum.conf so if the main servers are busy, you hit one of
the mirrors automatically.  To do that, simply add the URL to "baseurl="
equate, but DON'T add "baseurl=" to it.  In other words, to have two
servers:

	baseurl=http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download.....
	        http://mirror.server.tld/somedirectory...

It is very important to ONLY have the "baseurl=" on the first server.
If you put it on the mirrors, it'll confuse yum.  I do this for my
FC1/FC2 systems.  I have one main and up to four mirrors.

> On a network question, My ADSL Modem/Router with 4 port switch has been
> working just dandy. I have added my notebook (also RH8) to the second
> port on the switch and I can ping from one to the other. I cannot get to
> the internet from the laptop. I set it up the same way as the desktop
> machine, but using a different IP address (192.168.1.2), same netmask
> (255.255.255.0), same gateway (the IP address of the Modem/Router,
> 192.168.1.254), bind to mac address etc. One problem I can see that may
> cause problems is that both machines have the same name,
> localhost.localdomain. Would that be causing the problem and should the
> laptop be changed to a different host name, say localhost2.localdomain?
> I want to be able to get to the internet from the laptop without firing
> up the desktop machine, only the Modem/Router. Any advice very welcome.

Well, not really.  localhost.localdomain ties to the IP address
127.0.0.1 over the loopback interface, "lo".  While it's better to have
a "real" hostname, it's not absolutely necessary.

The odds are that your laptop isn't picking up the DNS service, so a
hostname won't resolve to an IP address.  If you can ping outside
addresses but not hostnames, then that's your problem.  To confirm it,
try doing something such as "dig www.redhat.com" and see if you get a
response.  If not, then DNS is not set up.  Make sure the laptop's
/etc/resolv.conf file looks like your desktop machine's file.
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -