RedHat on Dell I8600

Yung H. info at smart-dev.com
Sat Jun 19 15:50:47 UTC 2004

> It's in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the "Device" section.  Add a line in
> the section about your video card:
>
> 	VideoRam  RAM-size-in-kilobytes
>
> Again, based on the Dell site, you can have 32M, 64M or 128M of video
> RAM.  Select one of these lines to stuff in there:
>
> 	VideoRam   32768
> 	VideoRam   65536
> 	VideoRam   131072
>
> You may also need to change the "Screen" section and either change or
> add the "DefaultDepth" parameter.  It specifies the number of bits
> used
> for each color on the screen and is usually a value of 16 (thousands
> of
> colors) or 24 (millions of colors).

Hi Rick!

Thanks again for the reply. I did the changes on the RAM and the depth,
however, the maximum resolution I can achieve is still 1024x768, and
this resolution doesn't accomodate correctly with the monitor. On the
log file I see that it's taking the correct memory amount but it never
tries the resolutions I specified? Here's the configuration I have so
far, does it look good?

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
         RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1920x1200"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
        VideoRam    32768
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1920x1200" "1680x1050" "1280x800" "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0
        Mode         0666
EndSection

I don't know if it's okay to send attachments to the list, if it's so, I
can send the Xorg logfile. It's kinda big :) On a side note. I did
notice that Xorg detected the panel size as 1280x800 which looks about
right. That's actually the resolution I'm looking to use.

Thanks again for the help!