Redhat 6.1 Password Change

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 20:39:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:30:27PM +0000, Aaron Rykhus wrote:
> I'm new to Linux so don't laugh if this sounds retarded...I installed
> RedHat 6.1 recently and have and can login to root and created my own user
> account that I can login to...I'm currently reading the RHCE book and it
> had me create an account with the passwd command.

Umm, you don't create an account with "passwd".  You use "useradd" or
some GUI tool.  "passwd" sets or changes a password for an existing
account.

> However, when I tried
> testing logging into the account it doesn't work (login failed). I checked
> caps lock and changed it again a couple of times but still no luck. Any
> thoughts???

You're using a very ancient version of RedHat.  I seem to recall some
problem with password but don't recall the exact nature of it.  I have
seen passwd carp about your choice of password but go ahead and set it
anyway.  Are you getting any odd messages when you run passwd?

I presume you are root when you run passwd to change the user's
password.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort.