alsa and open source sound

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Mar 1 23:59:32 UTC 2004

tyche wrote:
> can one have both installed at the same time. i have prog i want to run, but
> it will only work with libasound, which i think is only with the alsa driver.
>
> tia
> tyche

You could have both installed, but you cannot run both at the same time.

If you have Alsa installed, then why not try enabling OSS emulation in
Alsa and get the best of both worlds?

In general I find that Alsa's OSS stuff actually works pretty well. Give
it a try. If you need help cofiguring it for your card, then write back
and let me know what kind of card you are using.

- Mark