Do rpm's from fedora work for rh9 and vice versa?

Chuck Campbell campbell at accelinc.com
Wed Mar 10 21:56:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:12:43AM -0800, Jim Hayward wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 06:58, Chuck Campbell wrote:
> > Well, subject says it mostly.  Can I use a FC1 rpm on my rh-9 system, and
> > if I do, will I be heading toward an upgraded system, or a bollixed one?
>
> Using binary RPMS between different versions can be hazardous to your
> systems stability. ;-)

OK, I certainly see that.  What about source rpms, built on the older
OS?  I assume that if the build dependencies are satisfied, there should
be no problem, right?

Specifically, I'm looking for Perl-5.8.3-nnn which exists in the fedora
FC1 distribution (or maybe an upgrade), but nothing newer than Perl-5.8.0-88
exists for RH9.

If I grab the FC srpm for Perl, and it builds I should be golden right?
I know a lot of things depend on perl, so I'm hesitant to just do it...

> > When rh9 support ends, is it sane to just apply FCx rpms for bug/security
> > fixes, or do I need to face a full clean fc1 install?
>
> I think you might be interested in the Fedora Legacy Project. Quoted
> from the website...
>
> "The goal of The Fedora Legacy Project is to work with the Linux
> community to provide security and critical bug fix errata packages for
> select End of Life Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core distributions. This
> will allow for a longer effective life for those releases."
>
> http://fedoralegacy.org/

Thanks for that
-chuck