Do rpm's from fedora work for rh9 and vice versa?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 22:07:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 03:56:40PM -0600, Chuck Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:12:43AM -0800, Jim Hayward wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 06:58, Chuck Campbell wrote:
> > > Well, subject says it mostly.  Can I use a FC1 rpm on my rh-9 system, and
> > > if I do, will I be heading toward an upgraded system, or a bollixed one?
> >
> > Using binary RPMS between different versions can be hazardous to your
> > systems stability. ;-)
>
> OK, I certainly see that.  What about source rpms, built on the older
> OS?  I assume that if the build dependencies are satisfied, there should
> be no problem, right?
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for Perl-5.8.3-nnn which exists in the fedora
> FC1 distribution (or maybe an upgrade), but nothing newer than Perl-5.8.0-88
> exists for RH9.
>
> If I grab the FC srpm for Perl, and it builds I should be golden right?
> I know a lot of things depend on perl, so I'm hesitant to just do it...

I wouldn't bother with the SRPM.  I'd download Perl v5.8.3 from
http://www.perl.org or one of its mirrors, and build it from scratch.
Tell it to install in /usr, not /usr/local, so that it installs over
your existing 5.8.0.  That's what I've done with all of my RH 9
machines until I upgrade to FC1.  Works fine.

> > <snip>
>
> Thanks for that
> -chuck

Cheers,