DSL Woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 12 17:16:49 UTC 2004

brynjarr at bellsouth.net wrote:
> I am trying to set up my system with a 2Wire Inc. PC Port. It is a USB device that will connect me to my home's network.
>
> Unfortunately when kudzu detected and configured the device, i fear that it configured as a modem. If it did I have no way to connect to the network. I don't know any of the devices DMA or IO or anything like that.
>
> How can I manually tell my system (Which is RH9) that this device is a DSL adapter. It's not an ethernet, since it works off a regular phone line that's connected to the DSL modem.
>
> Can anyone help me?

First, try "ifconfig -a" and see if the device shows up as a network
adaptor (it'd be called "ethx", "pppx", "wlanx" or something like that,
with the "x" replaced by a decimal digit).  Remember that "lo" is the
local loopback and will be displayed regardless of the presence of
another device.

If it doesn't show up, try "lsusb" to see what the system thinks the
device is.  You might post the bit that describes that device.  Once we
know that, we may be able to help.
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -