Apache mod_ssl on RH9

Roger Harrell roger at audiblefaith.com
Fri Mar 12 18:22:51 UTC 2004

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-httpd
 >  -secure-server.html
 >
 > I get to the "Testing the certificate" part. I am using a self signed
 > cert for now to test things. I've generated the certs and the keys.
 > If I go to https either via IP, domain or anything for the server I
 > just get a page cannot be displayed error. How do I go about
 > troubleshooting this?
 >
 > Server's at: 24.5.16.209
 >
 > Er, um, do you have the correct "Listen" and "Port" directives for
 > the SSL port?  Did you set up the "<VirtualHost>" directive
 > correctly?  E.g. "<Virtualhost whatever.your.name.is:443>"

In /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf

Listen 443
<VirtualHost musicwithmeaning.com:443>
SSLEngine on
SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key
</VirtualHost>

Should I just set the listen and other virtual host directives in the
standard httpd.conf that I use for all my other virtual host directives?

 > I may be missing something here as you are modifying your setup, but
 > as installed "out of the box" (well "service httpd start" excepted),
 > Apache httpd works with SSL. That is, "https://localhost" shows the
 > test page after a mouse click to accept the supplied self-signed
 > certificate.

https://localhost results in "The connection terminated unexpectedly.
Some data may have been transfered."
http://localhost works