Help connecting to the Internet using RH9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 6 16:37:12 UTC 2004

Pritam Borkar wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am a newbee to Linux and have installed RH9 and that too the personal
> desktop installation. during the network wizard i configured RH9 to use a
> static IP address as i am using cable internet and punched in the IP
> address the default gateway address as well as the DNS server address,
> then too it did not connect to the Internet.

90% of all cable modems do NATting and DHCP.  You should have configured
the NIC to use DHCP.  In this way, the cable modem will give you your
IP address, netmask, gateway and DNS servers.

If, however, you must set it up in static mode, you must know what the
IP address and netmask is of the LAN side of your cable modem (probably
192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1--check your manual), and what DNS servers
your cable provider has (check your service agreement or ask their tech
support people).  Set your static IP address to live on the same network
as your cable modem's LAN-side IP address (e.g. if your modem has
192.168.0.1, use something like 192.168.0.10) and set the netmask
appopriately.  You will then need to set up the default route (this will
be the cable modem's LAN address).  You will also need to set up the
nameserver system by replacing entries in /etc/resolv.conf with the
addresses of your cable provider's DNS servers:

	nameserver w.x.y.z
	nameserver a.b.c.d

You can do this via the "redhat-config-network" command (run as the
root user) or via the "Red Hat icon->System Settings->Network" menu
option.
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -