Trouble configuring Red Hat 7.2

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 7 01:16:53 UTC 2004

Pedro Morales wrote:
> --- jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 12:01, Pedro Morales wrote:
>>snip
>>
>>>the cd1 has:
>>>in green:
>>>autorun
>>>eula.txt
>>>GPL
>>>readme
>>>readme-acessbility
>>>release -notes
>>>release -notes.html
>>>RPM-GPG-Key
>>>RPM-GPG-Key-beta
>>>RPM-GPG-Key-fedora
>>>RPM-GPG-Key--fedora-rawhide
>>>RPM-GPG-Key-fedora-test
>>>RPM-GPG-Key-rawhide
>>>Trans.tbl
>>>
>>>in blue
>>>dosutils
>>>fedora
>>>images
>>>isolinux
>>>
>>>did I download the wrong iso or is it missing the
>>
>>boot
>>
>>>file?
>>
>>snip
>>This is a correct burn. Now the question is this
>>yarrow* (Fedora Core 1
>>--FC1) or Fedora core 2.
>>FC2 has errors that won't allow it to boot on some
>>systems. It is also a
>>beta test core for the gurus and grungy beasties to
>>play with.
>>
>>--
>>jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>
>

> ok well I downloaded teh cd1 iso again, burned it, ran
> it in my pc and it booted from the cd, but it didnt in
> teh classroom, the bio has cdrom as first boot and HD
> as second, it read teh cdrom and went to the HD and
> loaded 7.2, now im wondering, is there a way to run
> the FC1 installation from the 7.2 text mode?

I'm not certain I understand that.  I understand that English isn't
your primary language, so try to answer these one at a time:

1. Did you burn the Fedora Core 1 .iso image on a new CD?

2. Did that CD boot on your home system?

3. If #2 is "yes", did that CD boot on your school system?

4. If #3 is "no", did you check the BIOS settings on the school system
to make sure it would try to boot the CD before the hard disk?

5. If #4 is "yes", then it is possible that the CD drive in the school
system is one of the older style ones that have problems reading newer
CD-R media.

Older drives have a slightly different colored laser that can't read the
darker blue or green CD-Rs.  if you can find some of the old CD-R media
that's gold in color, you may have better luck.  Either that or you
should replace the CD drive in the school's system.

(for the techies, the older lasers were 670nM, the newer ones are 650nM)

> I really like Linux and im planning to change my
> religion from microsoft to linux, im enjoying the text
> mode but need to learn and explore the gui version as
> well, any extra help is appreciated.

If you can be a bit more specific about the machines you're trying to
run this on, we may be able to help you more.  If it's a purchased
system, the make and model would help ("Dell Dimension P600" for
example).

If it's home made, we need to know the CPU type (Pentium, Pentium Pro,
etc.), the motherboard make and model (Asus K7E, Gigabit G8854, Intel,
ABit, etc.), how much RAM you have, your video card make and model and
your ethernet card make and model.

It's hard to be specific when you don't know what you're dealing with.
-  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
-                            big enough rock.                        -