Redhat ES Patches

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 14 22:42:36 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Yes, you must use up2date.  However, you can set up an "ignore" list
of RPMs you _don't_ want automatically installed.  Use "up2date
--config" to set that up.

up2date does a reasonable job of sorting out what's "newer" than what
you have--but only for things installed via rpm.  If you do a tarball
install, up2date (because it queries the rpm database) will have no idea
that you installed, say, PostgreSQL 7.4.2 (the latest) via tarball,
while the latest RPM is 7.3.6.  So, when they finally come out with a
7.3.7 rpm, it'll get installed and might stomp on your 7.4.2 version.
That's one of the problems with multiple distribution formats.

"You pays your money...you takes your chances!"
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -